13 Tips for Diabetics:
- Take one day at a time. Don’t sweat the bad days (advice I need to learn myself) and praise yourself on the good days.
- Check blood glucose levels often. Hm. Another one I need to learn. 🙂
- Eat several smaller meals each day and never skip a meal. I’m getting a LOT better about this!
- Exercise! It helps bring your BG levels down if they are too high, plus it’s just good for you, even if you’re not a diabetic.
- Take care of your feet. I was told to wear socks all the time. I have a hard time with this in the summer.
- See your doctor regularly. I’ve been told at least 4 times a year. I see mine 3-4 times per year. I should probably see him more.
- Take care of your teeth and be sure to keep up on your dentist visits. Tell your dentist you have diabetes.
- Get your eyes checked regularly and be sure your eye doctor knows you have diabetes.
- Take your medications, if any, regularly without skipping doses. I’m pretty darn good about this one, tyvm.
- Eat healthy food. When I’m being ‘good’, I prefer to eat low-carb and naturally non-fat foods.
- Keep juice and fruit on hand at all times in case your blood sugar drops too low.
- Don’t let your test strips expire. They are expensive. Use them up!
- Treat yourself to a warm bath, a good book, or whatever it is that makes you happy. You deserve it!
Yay! Another Thursday Thirteen done early! I may not have time to post much the rest of the week. We’ll see how it goes. After work I’ve been catching up on the cleaning and the mountains of laundry in between calling around for auto insurance quotes. I’m still mad at my current car insurance company. But it’s hard to switch after being with them for over 10 years.
[tags]tips for diabetics,diabetic tips,diabetes tips,thursday thirteen,TT12,thursday 12[/tags]